Compound in Csolnok

After the forced labor camp at Recsk was shut down, the coal mine in Csolnok continued to exploit the labor of nearly 2,000 political prisoners between 1952 and 1956. The prisoners worked together with civilians. The civilian miners empathized with the prisoners and, outwitting the guards, helped them by carrying letters and informing them of current political events. The prisoners organized a 96-hour hunger strike and formed a Revolutionary Committee, liberating themselves to join the uprising beginning on October 23, 1956. The barracks were demolished in the 1970s; only a few remnants are left of the camp. This film was shot at the very last moment, though some things still remain unanswered… Up till now, the labor camp in Csolnok was only a blur in the history of Hungary.